As usual we intend to have an opening Question Time style panel this year. Our debate will focus around the very important issue of testing. Chaired by Laura McInerney, Kevin Courtney from the NUT and Amanda Spielman, chair of Ofqal will debate the role of testing in our schools. One key theme for us this year is giving a voice to the silenced. As teachers we often feel silenced ourselves. But there are others who are very infrequently heard at education conferences. Those who went through the system without a fairy tale ending for example. Chris Kilkenny’s account of growing up with a mother who was a heroin addict and the way he navigated school will break your heart. And Wasim Kurdi will travel from Palestine to tell us how teachers there struggle to give traumatised Palestinian children the power and confidence to speak out.
Opening :- Chris Kilkenny @KilkennyChris
Mary Bousted – General Secretary, ATL
Nic Dakin MP – Shadow Minister for Schools
Chaired by Ann Mroz.
Debra Kidd – Organiser of Northern Rocks
“Is testing damaging our children?”
Kevin Courtney, Deputy General Secretary of the NUT versus
Amanda Spielman, Chair of Ofqual
Chaired by Laura McInerney, Editor of Schools Week
1. Amjad Ali – Assistant Headteacher @ASTSupportAAli
2. Mark Anderson – author and consultant @ICTEvangelist
3. Lisa Jane Ashes – Teacher and author @lisajaneashes
4. Louise Astbury – Assistant Director and teacher Oldham Sixth Form College @LouiseAstbury
5. Danielle Bartram – Maths lead practitioner and author @MissBsResources
6. Rebecca Bell – Teacher and director of Integrate Education @integrateeducat
7. Jill Berry – Ex head and passionate advocate of leadership @JillBerry102
8. Sameena Choudhry – Founder of Equitable Education @EquitableEd
9. Sue Cowley – Ex teacher, writer and EYFS governor @Sue_Cowley
10. Paul Dix – Author, behaviour expert and co-founder of Pivotal Podcast @pivotalpaul
11. Sarah Earl – Training manager for Sound Training, sponsor of Northern Rocks.
12. Keziah Featherstone and Emma Payne – Secondary and Primary Headteachers
13. Joe Hallgarten – Director of Education, the Royal Society of Arts
14. Crista Hazel – MFL teacher and ITL associate @CristaHazell
15. Carl Hendrick (and guest!) – Director of Research, Wellington College @C_Hendrick
16. Dr Max Hope – The University of Hull and founder of the Freedom to Learn Project.
17. Paul Hopkins – University of Hull Faculty of Education @hopkinsmmi
18. Nina Jackson – Author and ITL associate
19. Bansi Kara – Assistant Headteacher and Huffington Post blogger @benniekara
20. Joe Kirby – Assistant Headteacher, Michaela School
21. Wasim Kurdi and Richard Kieran – Teacher trainer and headteacher linking Redditch and Palestine @rkieran
22. Richard Marshall – ATL Teacher Workload Workshop
23. Ross McGill – Deputy Headteachers, author and blogger @teachertoolkit
23. David McQueen – Founder of Magnificent Generation @DavidMcQueen
25. Chris Madden – BACP accredited psychotherapist working with young adults.
26. Jarlath O’Brien – Headteacher of Carwarden House Community school, a special school.
27. Alex Quigley and John Tomsett – Assistant Headteacher and Headteacher at Huntingdon School @huntingenglish @JohnTomsett
28. Sam Twiselton – Director of the Faculty of Education, Sheffield Hallam University and panel member of both the Carter Review and the government’s Behaviour Advisory Panel @SamTwiselton
29. Isabella Wallace – Teacher, author and founder of the charity Reach Out 2 Schools
Also….Rachel Orr, Debra Kidd, Hywel Roberts, David Cameron, Mick Waters and other special guests….watch this space…